Find the Answers to All Your Questions
SUMMER 2020 UPDATE
Ursa Major has had to suspend our summer 2020 programs due to the current Health Officer Order. We are hopeful that we will be able to provide some camp programs later in the summer, but for now, we are taking a pause. Read more below.
WHAT WE KNOW TODAY
may 29, 2020
A LETTER TO OUR CAMP COMMUNITY
may 19, 2020
With the heaviest of hearts, Liz and I are writing to let you know that Ursa Major is suspending our programs for this summer. Having talked to so many of you over the past few weeks, I feel how deeply you and your child(ren) were hanging on to hope for summer camp to be a bright spot in your 2020. Liz and I know what an impact the Ursa Major experience could’ve been for your campers (and for you, as a parent!) this summer, and we are deeply sorry that we won’t be able to deliver that for you. This is a sad and hard email for us to send, but it was an easy decision to make for the safety of your family and our staff.
We committed to having camp this summer if we were allowed to do so and only if Ursa Major could be the safest summer program for your child. For several weeks, we have been waiting for guidelines, regulations and protocols from the Napa County Department of Public Health, American Camp Association, CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics, and we have worked hard behind the scenes in countless conversations to find out as much as we could. We needed that guidance to ensure that we could operate Ursa Major this summer as safely as possible. While we are experts in camp, we are not experts in public health; without their guidance, we can not ensure a safe summer for our campers, staff and families.
I know how disappointing this is to you and your campers. Our whole team will miss being a part of the incredible Ursa Major family we get to welcome each summer. We’re continuing to work closely with the Napa Parks & Recreation Department to explore possibilities for later in the summer. If the Napa County Health Department allows us to and we feel like we can safely do so, we’ll partner with Napa Parks & Rec to offer programming to our community when we’re able to in July or August.
Your registration for this summer will automatically roll over to 2021. We’ll add $10 per camper, per day, to your credit, which will come in handy for the next time you join us! This can also be used for programs prior to 2021, should we be allowed to offer any, and it will never expire.
If you are unable to use your credit in 2021, you can request a refund of some or all of this year’s tuition. Full refunds will be subject to a $75 per child cancellation fee to cover processing fees and administrative costs. Refunds may be requested at any time, but will not be processed until 2021. Camp Ursa Major is a small, family-owned business. Unlike many camps, we’re totally focused on camp and have year-round payroll and expenses to make camp happen. This is part of what makes Ursa Major great, but is also what makes the current situation financially challenging for us. By keeping all of your tuition with us a credit, you help ensure the long-term future of Ursa Major.
Today, we start the countdown to Summer Camp 2021, and we’ll continue to be here for you throughout the year, for anything you might need. If you have questions, ideas, or just want to say hi, give us a call.
Deeply, truly, all our best,
Andy & Liz Kimmelman
PS - You and your child have been feeling lots of disappointment this year, and I know this is yet another thing to add to the list. Our friend Dr. Tina Payne Bryson put together a great, short video about helping your kids deal with missing out on camp this summer. I hope it’s helpful to you.
Get the Answers You Need